Bus timetables
Follow ATB on Facebook YouTube

Tourism in Bergamo

Bergamo funiculars

ATB operates two funiculars:

• The funicular that connects Lower and Upper City
• The funicular that connects Upper City with San Vigilio hill.

Two cableways equipped with three cars that every year cover almost 40.000 km and transport about 2.100.000 passengers.

Download the valid timetables of both the funiculars from the Routes and timetables page.
Timetables are available also at the four stations, by the Trip Planner, at Search by line and Search by stop pages and on the ATB Mobile app.

Here you can read something about the history of the funiculars.

Bergamo City Funicularfunicolare

The first funicular connecting the Lower Town with the Upper Town, with a traditional type of system with two to-and-fro cars, was built in 1887 to the design of Emilian engineer Alessandro Ferretti, who operated the line until 1906 when it was taken over by AMFTE, now ATB. In 1917 a resolution was passed to completely transform the funicular in order to increase its transport capacity and minimize service suspensions. The original system took on the characteristics of two elevator systems on an inclined plane moved by two independent winches in Engineer Zaretti's new version, built by Stigler Otis. Between 1920 and 1921 the old cars were replaced by a new model built by Stigler, and the two stations at Bergamo Bassa and Bergamo Alta were modernized. Further work was needed in 1954 and 1963-64 with the installation of two new observation cars. The last restoration took place in 1987, a century after the first ride, when the funicular took on its present appearance. In 2008 a general overhaul of the system was carried out with complete replacement of the automation.

Features: line length: right m. 240; left m. 234; difference in height m. 85 (from m. 271 to m. 356); slope: maximum 52%; two cars with 50 seats each.

funicolare s viglioSan Vigilio Funicular

It began working on August 27, 1912. The mechanical part was built by Société des Usines L. de Roll of Bern, while the two cars, carrying 32 people each, were made by Fervet of Bergamo.
After operating for more than half a century, the service was suspended in 1976 as the government concession had expired and safety requirements were now lacking. In 1984 the company's Administrative Commission decided to prepare a radical transformation project. Renovation works on the line was started in 1987, and the Ceretti Tanfani company of Milan was entrusted with the construction of the system. Service resumed in 1991.

Features: line length: m.630; difference in height m. 90 (from m. 369 a m. 459);  slope: minimum 10%, maximum 22%; one car with 55 seats.